Stop Press!

Trying to finish Cyprus trip. Four new videos uploaded into previous posts.

After trotting around Southeast Asia over the summer, I'm now back in the UK - Cambridge to be exact. Am trying my best to update as frequently as my clinical course will allow.

Entries on Italy and France two winters ago have been put on hold indefinitely. Read: possibly never. But we shall see.

Entries on Greece and Turkey last winter have also been put on hold for the time being.

Posted:
Don Det (Laos), Don Khone

Places yet to blog about:
Ban Nakasang, Champasak, Pakse, Tha Kaek, Vientienne, Vang Vien, Ban Phoudindaeng, Luang Prabang, Khon Kaen (Thailand), Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), London (England), Cambridge

Wednesday 31 August 2005

contemplating china (thoughts)

dear emilyn...

here r my contemplations on my trip to china...kekeke...which to me...is much more interesting than the itenerary...or what i did there...

ok first off...like malacca...visiting china was really something...to actually bear witness to the great edifices n magnificent structures...i was practically struck dumb...the forbidden city...the summer palaces...the great wall...n to think they were constructed during ancient times...one can only imagine the wealth n power of chinese emperors...the greatness of the chinese civilization...

s i explored the ancient palaces of the emperors...looked in upon the lavish throne room...walked down the long graceful corridors...rested at the vast exotic gardens...i transported myself back into the past...during the reign of the emperor...right into his shoes...clothed in yellow silk robes...adorned with priceless jade...i could imagine the power n wealth in my hands...n the desire to proclaim it to the world...

but suddenly...i'm transported into another world...the separated world of the commoners...outside the forbidden city...into the narrow streets...n small poor houses of beijing...it's a real shocking change of reality actually...from the yellow silk covered beds of the emperor...to the hard gravel where the homeless sleep...from the comfortable life of royalty...to the hardworking life of peasants...

this sense of hardwork made n impression on me...in beijing...wherever u go...u c teenagers...probably around my age...or maybe younger...15 onwards...doing all sorts of jobs...guards...cleaners...factory workers...all sorts...really...the sort of jobs that malaysian teenagers would not normally do...n i found out that these teenagers r from provinces outside of hebei province...

without sufficient money to further their studies after middle school...these provincial teenagers who come from a family of farmers travel to the capital to look for jobs in the hopes of altering their destinies...but considering that fact that beijing itself has already 13 million people...it's no surprise that they have no choice but to accept n settle for any job...unlike malaysians who r really spoilt for choice...

but i have to commend them on their determination...their struggle to change their futures...to survive in this cold harsh world...all on their own...

ooh...n another thing...china's transportation system is so cool!...they have the usual buses n taxis...but they also have electrical trams...kinda like the ones in san frans i think...which is so eco-friendly...n they have subways...which reminded me of london...kekeke...but what makes it all unique is their trishaws...n bicycles...in fact...the bicycle is the main form of transport in beijing...with bicycle lanes conjested with people n their bikes...kekeke...it's really cool...someday...someday...i'm gonna live in a country where bikes r favoured...n i won't even buy myself a car...kekeke

all in all...travelling to china...in a way...it made me look in on myself n introspect...i understand myself better now...since i now know where i come from...my past n history...my origins...n somehow...i've found a part of my identity...understand the blood the flows through my veins...n whenever i come across a wall...all i have to do is look back over my shoulders...to look upon the greatness of the ancient chinese civilization looming over my back...its shadow protecting me n yet at the same time...threatening me...n goading me to challenge its own greatness...that once was...because i m from the same flesh n blood...

regards
k

No comments: