Stop Press!

Trying to finish Cyprus trip. Four new videos uploaded into previous posts.

After trotting around Southeast Asia over the summer, I'm now back in the UK - Cambridge to be exact. Am trying my best to update as frequently as my clinical course will allow.

Entries on Italy and France two winters ago have been put on hold indefinitely. Read: possibly never. But we shall see.

Entries on Greece and Turkey last winter have also been put on hold for the time being.

Posted:
Don Det (Laos), Don Khone

Places yet to blog about:
Ban Nakasang, Champasak, Pakse, Tha Kaek, Vientienne, Vang Vien, Ban Phoudindaeng, Luang Prabang, Khon Kaen (Thailand), Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), London (England), Cambridge

Friday 31 July 2009

Protaras - Blue Spice



From left: Dafni, David, Zara, me.

This was where it all lead up to: our first ever debut performance of the syrtaki at the open-air restaurant and pool bar of the Blue Spice hotel. When Dafni's old dance coach heard that we'd been (trying) to learn the syrtaki, she suggested that we perform after her own dance school's show at the hotel.

We weren't sure at first but we did turn up just to watch the show and have a good night out. Well, when I say we, I meant David was uncomfortable with dancing a Greek folk dance in front of Cypriots who obviously know the dance well. But word got around the hotel, and I don't think the locals would have let a bunch of tourists (let alone tourists who dance) leave without dancing the syrtaki for them.

Note to readers:

1. Please excuse the bits of fudging at the start - apparently there are many different variations to the structure of the dance.
2. Please also excuse random people in the shootage - there wasn't a good vantage point (or at least, there wasn't enough time to secure a good vantage point).
3. Please also excuse the loud whistling which would have probably blown your eardrums by now - Cypriots like to do this during their dances.

All in all, please excuse the poor quality of the video although the camerawoman did a pretty darn good job of it, I have to say.

Note to self:

The syrtaki is not a Latin American dance; fast spins, hips moving from the core, as well as kicks with good preparation and recovery are not appreciated. :p Although I'm sure my coach would still tell me to watch out for my posture and timing. ;)

We spent the rest of the night having impromptu dance lessons on traditional Greek/Cypriot dances. What can I say? All in all, it was quite Fun!

No comments: