Stop Press!

Trying to finish Cyprus trip. Four new videos uploaded into previous posts.

After trotting around Southeast Asia over the summer, I'm now back in the UK - Cambridge to be exact. Am trying my best to update as frequently as my clinical course will allow.

Entries on Italy and France two winters ago have been put on hold indefinitely. Read: possibly never. But we shall see.

Entries on Greece and Turkey last winter have also been put on hold for the time being.

Posted:
Don Det (Laos), Don Khone

Places yet to blog about:
Ban Nakasang, Champasak, Pakse, Tha Kaek, Vientienne, Vang Vien, Ban Phoudindaeng, Luang Prabang, Khon Kaen (Thailand), Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), London (England), Cambridge

Thursday 8 July 2010

Big 'G'

No water again today - that's twice in two weeks. Possibly even more, given that I've always showered at 7:00 am and on both occasions, I showered late - today, after I'd done my laundry (for which there was still water). That's twice I've had to bathe outside at the stone basin - I had some leftover water from the washing.

***
Before we had a maid, mother used to send me to a babysitter: Mrs. Lie (most likely Lai) I think her name was. I have only this one memory of it so it must've been some time way back. As far as I can remember, we've always had a maid; but this must've been whilst I was still in kindergarten.

I always had to bathe outside. When the heat of the day gave way to the cool of the evening, her son would lead me outside to a walled-in part of the frontyard. I would undress; he would hose me down and soap me up (in a non-homoerotic way).

And then we would play this game of his (I think he came up with it): he would turn me around to face the wall with my back to him. And as I stared at the punched-out floral motifs of the white wall, he would write alphabets on my soapy back. And under the gentle evening sun, I'd have to guess if it was a "big 'G'" or a "small 'a'".

That's where the memory ends.
***

Of course, there are many interesting aspects about this memory and its significance. For one, why was I never allowed to bathe upstairs? Does it say anything about our different social status?

But what I'm most intrigued by is *why* this memory? They say we remember events that are emotionally charged but the funny thing is, I can't even conjure up the emotion that is associated with it.

So why this memory?

No comments: