Stop Press!

Trying to finish Cyprus trip. Four new videos uploaded into previous posts.

After trotting around Southeast Asia over the summer, I'm now back in the UK - Cambridge to be exact. Am trying my best to update as frequently as my clinical course will allow.

Entries on Italy and France two winters ago have been put on hold indefinitely. Read: possibly never. But we shall see.

Entries on Greece and Turkey last winter have also been put on hold for the time being.

Posted:
Don Det (Laos), Don Khone

Places yet to blog about:
Ban Nakasang, Champasak, Pakse, Tha Kaek, Vientienne, Vang Vien, Ban Phoudindaeng, Luang Prabang, Khon Kaen (Thailand), Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), London (England), Cambridge

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Wanderlust: found

Last night, I laid in a hammock and swung myself. The night was cool after a day of intermittent (tropical = heavy) showers and the crickets were throwing in the kitchen sink. I was exhausted and had had a lousy dinner. My body itched all over from angry mosquito bites that don't appear to be getting better at all. And I was dreading the trip home the following day. I was obsessed with just one thought: that I'd lost my Wanderlust.

But by the fickle finger of Fate (as Charity would put it), just before climbing up into my top bunk, I decided to stay another day: I switched off my mobile which was set to go off at 4:00 am (although it still managed to ring despite being a really cheap mobile).

This morning, I was sitting at the feet of giants and gazing down at the people milling about Parque Central. I explored the cupolas of the cathedral against the dramatic backdrop of the volcanic range.

In the afternoon, I walked to the indigenous village of Subtiava (which was the focus of the area before the Spanish founded Leon) to catch a bus to Poneloya. And before I knew it, I was getting my khakis wet with the Jose brothers in the high rolling waves of the Pacafic.

Now I'm back in the very same hammock, swinging myself side-to-side. It's raining outside but the crickets are stubborn. I'm happily sunburnt (for now) and I'm looking forward to heading home tomorrow. It wasn't that I'd lost my Wanderlust; I just didn't know how to look for it.

No comments: