Stop Press!

Trying to finish Cyprus trip. Four new videos uploaded into previous posts.

After trotting around Southeast Asia over the summer, I'm now back in the UK - Cambridge to be exact. Am trying my best to update as frequently as my clinical course will allow.

Entries on Italy and France two winters ago have been put on hold indefinitely. Read: possibly never. But we shall see.

Entries on Greece and Turkey last winter have also been put on hold for the time being.

Posted:
Don Det (Laos), Don Khone

Places yet to blog about:
Ban Nakasang, Champasak, Pakse, Tha Kaek, Vientienne, Vang Vien, Ban Phoudindaeng, Luang Prabang, Khon Kaen (Thailand), Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), London (England), Cambridge

Monday 2 April 2007

Some things just don't change

30th of March. It's the end of March and yet, it's a friggin' five degrees in London. Arriving at King's Cross station, I thought 'So much for escaping the depressive weather of Cambridge.'

With a 20 minute delay due to coupling problems, the train ride was uneventful aside from the passenger seated next to me. Dressed impeccably and looking not too bad himself, he kept dozing off whilst lolling his head to the left and almost resting on my shoulder before correcting itself. So much for our vestibular system. Of course, I wouldn't have minded because we all need a shoulder to lean on every now and then.


At Westminster Abbey, it began to rain. The archetypal British rain. The one which feels like rain, only not quite. Like the mist blown by fans at high-end coffee shops such as Coffee Bean in Malaysia. The wind doesn't let up. If anything, it's stronger.


Pass the Houses of Parliament, Downing Street is as heavily guarded as usual. Trafalgar square remains very much the same since I ushered in 2006.


After lunch at Chinatown, I spent two whole hours on just two small rooms of the National Gallery's Sainsbury Wing. Whilst studying the paintings from 1250 to 1500, I remember the Uffizi Gallery of Florence where I spent the entire day contemplating the history of Art and its development through the times. This gallery will last me a couple of years at the very least.


The old fruit and vegetable market of Covent Garden has been replaced by small chic shops selling arts and crafts. Exploring them, I couldn't help but hum to myself, 'Lots chocolate for me to eat. Lots of coal makin' lots of 'eat. Warm face, warm 'ands, warm feet. Oh, wouldn't it be loverly?'


Down the Mall and then to Buckingham Palace. Nothing interesting there. Not when you can't go in. A quick coffee break at the curious Starbucks of St Katherine's Dock before heading for the highlight of the day: The Mousetrap. Running for its 54th/55th year, it is the world's longest ever running play. Mother even saw it 20 years ago. It doesn't disappoint either.


Some things just don't change in London. Others remain pretty much the same.

No comments: