Stop Press!

Trying to finish Cyprus trip. Four new videos uploaded into previous posts.

After trotting around Southeast Asia over the summer, I'm now back in the UK - Cambridge to be exact. Am trying my best to update as frequently as my clinical course will allow.

Entries on Italy and France two winters ago have been put on hold indefinitely. Read: possibly never. But we shall see.

Entries on Greece and Turkey last winter have also been put on hold for the time being.

Posted:
Don Det (Laos), Don Khone

Places yet to blog about:
Ban Nakasang, Champasak, Pakse, Tha Kaek, Vientienne, Vang Vien, Ban Phoudindaeng, Luang Prabang, Khon Kaen (Thailand), Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), London (England), Cambridge

Sunday 2 December 2007

Bremen


So our flight back to England departed from Bremen. I think Bremerhaven was too small a city to fly out from. Anyway, we left our luggage at the Hauptbahnhof and had a look around Bremen's old quarter considering the fact that our flight wasn't until sometime in the late evening.


I didn't manage to keep a journal on this trip what with friends being constantly around and demanding my attention. So I'll just post the first thing that comes to my head based on the photos I took. From what I can remember, Bremen is a really pretty city (as you can tell from the photo above) and I couldn't help but wonder how such a cute 'lil city could produce such amazing hotties on the dancefloor. I mean, joint first Latin Formation World Champions! That's as good as it gets surely.


Took off on my own because I wanted to explore the old quarter proper in my own time. The best-known representation of the Bremen Town Musicians is the internationally acclaimed bronze structure by Gerhard Marcks dating from 1951. It stands on the western side of the town hall. We dubbed it the Ass, Bitch, Pussy and Cock.


The town hall was built between 1405 and 1410 with a facade in the style of the Weser Renaissance that was added in the 17th century. It is apparently one of the most beautiful town halls in Germany. I think Munich's rathaus is better but I guess for a small town that Bremen once was, it is pretty impressive. Together with the Roland statue, it gained UNESCO World Heritage status in July 2004.


The market square with expected Christmas market where those who participated in the tat competition hunted for tat. I entered this cute 'lil glass piggy which contained a very old German coin. It didn't make the finals unfortunately (although it got two recalls I believe). But then again, I simply cannot get myself to buy tat. I think it's just the way I've been brought up. Father would not have approved.


The statue of Roland in Bremen is the largest and most famous of the 26 Roland statues in Germany. At 5.55 metres tall, the statue towers over everyone and has been a symbol of trading rights and freedom since 1404. I can't believe this statue gained World Heritage status because one, it's not very tall or impressive. And two, it's just a statue. I must've missed out on its historical or cultural significance somewhere. Oh well, I'll look it up sooner or later.


The Haus der Burgerschaft or State Parliament was designed in 1966 by the architect Wassili Luckhardt. As you can tell, it was a very controversial building in its day. (I think it should still be a controversial building. I mean, look at it. It's clearly in the wrong place.) Today, it is the seat of Bremen's own parliament, known of course, as the Burgerschaft.


St. Peter's Cathedral is over 1200 years old. Its distinctive early Gothic architecture dates from the first half of the 13th century. Apparently, the oldest parts of the cathedral - the west and east crypts - are especially noteworthy, as are its impressive organs. (It was closed when I visited it.)


Bremen's oldest district, the Schnoor quarter, is a maze of 15th-16th century houses lining the alleys like pearls on a string and now home to artists' and goldsmiths' workshops and galleries. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in which to sit and watch the world go by.


Historical and modern boats offer daily Weser cruises here from the Schlachte Embankment. This is where people enjoy riverside life in the heart of Bremen during the summer where plenty of beer gardens provide a wide range of food and relaxation. The winter apparently, brings with it 'Schlachte Magic'. Don't even ask me what that is.


From St. Martin's Quay, cruises set off along the river Weser and the harbour to the artists' village of Worpswede or to Vegesack and Bremerhaven. It's a good place to watch the hustle and bustle of the busy embankment.


The pedestrianised arcade, Bottcherstrasse is Bremen's 'secret high street'. A gilt relief called 'Bringer of Light' adorns the gateway. Bottcherstrasse is home to the Paula Modersohn-Becker museum, the Roselius-Haus and the carillon made from Meissen porcelain.


The Schutting or guildhall was built in 1537-1538 in the style of the Renaissance building of Flanders. The magnificent entrance was only added in the 19th century. The guildhouse of Bremen's merchants is home of the Chamber of Commerce.


After having seen all the sites, or at least, the ones worth seeing, I made my way back to the Christmas market where I knew some of my mates would be hanging around. Had a nice steaming cup of mulled wine and shelter from the freezing cold at one of the stalls where I also bumped into them.


Spent the rest of the evening at Alex's where I suddenly had a craving for chocolate ice cream. Bad mistake: Ended up freezing my entire arse all the way to the airport.


Reliving our childhoods just before making our way back to the train station.

1 comment:

Comically Sad said...

yup i am :)

am supposed to study for exams but i just finished 1 paper today and i'm feeling lazy lol

hey add me on msn. we can chat there sometime...that is if u want la lol

freshnwhite@msn.com