Stop Press!

Trying to finish Cyprus trip. Four new videos uploaded into previous posts.

After trotting around Southeast Asia over the summer, I'm now back in the UK - Cambridge to be exact. Am trying my best to update as frequently as my clinical course will allow.

Entries on Italy and France two winters ago have been put on hold indefinitely. Read: possibly never. But we shall see.

Entries on Greece and Turkey last winter have also been put on hold for the time being.

Posted:
Don Det (Laos), Don Khone

Places yet to blog about:
Ban Nakasang, Champasak, Pakse, Tha Kaek, Vientienne, Vang Vien, Ban Phoudindaeng, Luang Prabang, Khon Kaen (Thailand), Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), London (England), Cambridge

Friday 25 July 2008

Da Nang


With half of the journey completed, I suggested that we lunch at Da Nang. It's not a pretty city at all: one of those neither-here-nor-there types. I'm not even sure if it has any heritage value. Ever since taking over Hoi An's role major port, the city has probably never looked back and is trying to catch up with the likes of Hanoi and Saigon. So think of a city that's trying to modernize but still has a long way to go as well as enough people to make the city noisy and congested but not enough to make it vibrant and you'll be pretty close to Da Nang.

***


As agreed, Lionel taught me how to ride the motorcycle. I'd ask him to run me through the mechanisms of the vehicle before we even started on our excursion so I could observe whilst he drove the outward leg. True to his word, it's damn fucking easy. Oh my god! It's so different being the person holding the steering handles and having the wind blown at you rather than being blocked by the driver. I notched an average of 60 km/h and we got back to Hoi An before long. Learnt a new skill today! Tres proud!

No comments: