Stop Press!

Trying to finish Cyprus trip. Four new videos uploaded into previous posts.

After trotting around Southeast Asia over the summer, I'm now back in the UK - Cambridge to be exact. Am trying my best to update as frequently as my clinical course will allow.

Entries on Italy and France two winters ago have been put on hold indefinitely. Read: possibly never. But we shall see.

Entries on Greece and Turkey last winter have also been put on hold for the time being.

Posted:
Don Det (Laos), Don Khone

Places yet to blog about:
Ban Nakasang, Champasak, Pakse, Tha Kaek, Vientienne, Vang Vien, Ban Phoudindaeng, Luang Prabang, Khon Kaen (Thailand), Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), London (England), Cambridge

Friday 18 July 2008

Hanoi II


'Oh god oh god oh god oh god!'


That was all that was running through my mind the entire journey back to my couchsurfing host's home. And I thought being a pedestrian in Hanoi was bad enough. But riding on the back of a motorcycle trumps it all especially when he's using his mobile at the same time. I grip the back handles hard till my knuckles ache. I sit stiffly until my bum also ache and my legs cramp up.


'Fuck!'


I swear that car was millimetres away from my skin - I could feel it at the tips of the hairs on my leg as it revved past us.


***

Apparently, it's a custom to wait for everyone to return home for a family dinner when a guest is around. My first home-cooked Vietnamese meal. They certainly eat funny things here: pig ears included. When I told them that we don't eat them in Malaysia (at least I've never had them before), his mother asks me, 'So what do you do with them?' To which I reply, 'Don't know. Probably throw them away.' I guess when you're in a country this poor, anything goes and you can't afford to let anything go to waste.

No comments: