Stop Press!

Trying to finish Cyprus trip. Four new videos uploaded into previous posts.

After trotting around Southeast Asia over the summer, I'm now back in the UK - Cambridge to be exact. Am trying my best to update as frequently as my clinical course will allow.

Entries on Italy and France two winters ago have been put on hold indefinitely. Read: possibly never. But we shall see.

Entries on Greece and Turkey last winter have also been put on hold for the time being.

Posted:
Don Det (Laos), Don Khone

Places yet to blog about:
Ban Nakasang, Champasak, Pakse, Tha Kaek, Vientienne, Vang Vien, Ban Phoudindaeng, Luang Prabang, Khon Kaen (Thailand), Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), London (England), Cambridge

Thursday 17 July 2008

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia


Things have certainly changed. Whereas before, I did not know how to appreciate the beauty of my homeland, could not comprehend why anyone would want to settle here for good; but now, after having travelled far and wide (or so I'd like to think), I look around my beloved country with different eyes and I see potential. Potential.


My issue with Malaysia - especially Kuala Lumpur - is that it's neither here nor there. I compare it to Prague and I see dilapidated historical buildings, most having been torn down to make way for skyscrapers. So I compare it to Hong Kong, and I see dull architecture of unimpressive short buildings.


And yet, Kuala Lumpur still has potential: the Moorish architecture of the Sultan Abdul Samad Building and the Kuala Lumpur Railway Station is reminiscent of a glorious era long gone past and the towering height of the Petronas Twin Towers is a testament of our architectural capabilities. Something needs to be done about that Klang River though: its muddy brown turbulent waters (or silt) just doesn't do anything for the aesthetics of the city.


Things don't just stop at Kuala Lumpur however - the whole country itself is bursting with potential. Its political scene is slightly unstable but the workings of democracy are obvious in the boldness and strength of the opposition party, the Pakatan Rakyat, which is trying to obtain a vote of no confidence in the current Prime Minister. It also champions equal rights for all races although I'd take this with a pinch of salt, to be honest.


I'd say the economy is still fairly good. Of course, we're also affected by the increase in the price of oil but then again, who isn't. I'd like to think that inflation is in check but I'm not really informed about it (prices are still about the same for all I care). Sure, there are issues of corruption, cronyism, and general organizational matters to attend to but all it needs really is a prod in the right direction. Don't you find this terribly exciting? Because I do.

No comments: